Saturday, January 3, 2015

Realistic Resolutions

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I was caught up in my last post, ranting about the weather, and forgot to mention 2014 coming to a close and 2015 kicking off a few days ago. New Years Eve is a super fun holiday, filled with fireworks, champagne (or sparkling cider), and fun hats. However, one thing that comes with the holiday isn't very fun, or easy, to do. New years resolutions.

Everybody makes them and eventually breaks them. For those of you who manage to reach that goal you made at the beginning of the year, congratulations. You all must be very motivated. For those who can't manage to stick to your resolution(s), I'm here to help. Buckle your seat belts, kids.

I've learned this method/guideline to goal setting mostly through my sports teams and camps, and I'm sure a lot of you know this method as well. It's called S.M.A.R.T. The goals that you set should be:

Specific

To set a specific goal, use the four Ws; who, what, when, where, and how. The five W's. A specific goal is easier to achieve than general goals. For ex: "I want to be nicer" is very general and is hard to achieve. "I want to make three people smile everyday" is a lot more specific, and easier to achieve.

Measurable

Being able to measure your progress and achievement of your goals is key, and can give you boosts of encouragement and confidence when you are able to see your progress. Ask yourself things like "how much?" "how many?" and "when will I know I have achieved my goal?" to see if your goal is measurable.

Attainable

Goals aren't always attainable from the start. In fact, most goals shouldn't be attainable when you first make them. That's what goals are for. They take you through the process of growing, learning, and developing skills and attitudes that you need to make your goal possible. So don't ask yourself if your goals are attainable today, ask yourself if they will be attainable by the time you want to reach them.

Realistic

Making goals realistic doesn't always mean making them possible. A realistic goal should be something that you are willing and able to work for. High set goals are often easier to reach then low ones, because low set goals require less motivation and effort.

Timely

Goals should be set in a certain time frame. "I want to lose 50 lbs" isn't pushing you to get it done before a time or date. "I want to lose 50 lbs by May 1st" will make you get it done before then.
(T can also stand for Tangible. This means that the goal can be obtained in one of the five senses: touch, taste, smell, sight, and sound.)

Although I am slightly hypocritical, seeing as I have already broken one of my new years resolutions, most of the time making S.M.A.R.T goals will help you achieve them. Although resolutions are slightly different then goals, they both fit into the same category, and can be made using the method I described above.

If you need more help with New Year's resolutions and much more, click here.

Photo courtesy of this wallpaper site

No comments:

Post a Comment