Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Precautions and Prompts

Yesterday the school entered a shelter in place drill due to a unique danger: wildlife. Yes, no one was allowed to leave the building because of one bear, roaming around the Park Meadows area. This past week it has been spotted by civilians and police men all around Park City, from Jeremy and Pinebrook to Main Street and Park Meadows.

Last night it was assumed to be in Park Meadows still, which is where I was having dinner with family friends. It is also where, wether the bear caused it or not, the power went out. Everyone pulled out candles and flashlights, waiting for the lights to come back on. All of the neighboring houses were out as well, but we weren't sure how widespread the blackout was. I called my sister and confirmed that the power was still on by main street- she had no idea what had happened.

After waiting for nearly an hour we decided to go home. It was about 9:30 at night, and I was driving. Of course I didn't even consider the fact that the blackout might have effected the street lights or stoplights, which it did. All of the lamplights were out and when I got to the big intersection by Alberto's and Maverick, the power was still off. Fun times!

Photo courtesy of ksl.com.
Read more about the bear here.
Now that I've updated recent events, let me get the assigned prompt out of the way. "How have you changed this year?" This can go many different ways. How has my writing changed? How have my academics changed? How have my friends changed? How has the weather changed? An so on. Instead of talking about some deep, sentimental changes I've made this year, I'm going to talk about my shoes. (it counts)

I began this wondrous school year with some white high tops. I wore them a lot, which is an understatement. (Visit their website here). They were pearly white the first couple of weeks, but they didn't stay that way for long. Eventually the brown creeped in, and despite many suggestions to wash them, I simply couldn't. They were the only shoes I wore. Soon after they became brown converse I was given Birkenstocks for Christmas.

Some of you may know how great these shoes are. They are amazing for your feet and posture, and incredibly comfy. I got all black classic Arizona sandals, but there are many more styles and colors. If you want to order Birkenstocks, visit their website here. I also got Uggs around the same time. My mom and I were in Jackson Hole for one of my ski races, and while I was warming up on the mountain my mom decided to look around the shops in town. She stumbled upon a shoe store with some incredible deals and ended up getting me some short blonde Uggs for around $100.


My converse were still a wreck, however. My mom decided that she wouldn't have me walking around in canvas shoes covered in dirt/whoknowswhatelse. So we stopped by a shoe store on the way home from a lacrosse game and ended up continuing the tradition. I got another pair of white converse, but this time they were the low rise ones, not the high tops. WOW! A lot has changed in the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment